My love of cookies has been car-eh-zeeee lately! I'm blaming the sheer simplicity and speed at which I can whip this cookie dough up. I call these cookies 'American style' because its not often you can get these soft baked cookies this side of the pond but they are fast becoming my fave cookies. The chewy centre and they way they melt in your mouth with a cuppa is beyond scrumptious.
This cookie dough is so versatile. It is the exact same cookie dough as my Chocolate Chip Cookies but with white chocolate chips. It is like a whole different cookie. It was sweet,creamy, crumbly on the outside, chewy in the inside. And the greatest thing about these is I baked some straight from freezer. So you always have homemade cookies on hand!
Recipe for Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 170g butter
- 150g demerara sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g White chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat your butter for 1 or 2 minutes to soften the butter. Add both sugars and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. The demerara is quite a large grain so do not be alarmed if this does not cream to a smooth texture. Add your egg and vanilla extract and beat.
- In a separate bowl, sift your flour, cornflour and bicarbonate of soda together. Add to wet ingredients and mix. Add your chocolate chip and mix slowly for a 30 seconds until evenly dispersed.
- Wrap dough in cling film and put in freezer for 1 hour. These bake great from frozen.You can alternatively chill it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. But YOU MUST chill your dough. The key to a good cookie is to keep the dough chilled. Ever wondered why you put lovely round balls in the oven and they come out a crispy thin cookie? Well the taller and more chilled you have your dough the less "melting" time it has.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (fan assisted). Roll a ball (tbsp approx) of your dough and place on baking sheet. Leaving space for each cookie to spread. Then pinch them with your fingers into a more triangular shape. This will make the cookies chunkier. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to wired rack.