I'm trying to be healthier this year and Monday to Friday I'm pretty good but when Friday evening comes my sweet tooth kicks in.....big time!
Last Friday night literally about 10 o'clock at night, I got a massive craving for Cinnamon Rolls. These aren't something you can just whip up. These take a bit of patience. There's making the dough,proofing the dough and then re-proofing, it was ridiculous when I think about it. I literally sat on the kitchen floor at about 1 a.m and watched them bake. And they were sooooo worth it.
But they were worth it even more the next morning for breakfast!
I cannot for love nor diamonds remember who told me to add pecans to Cinnamon Rolls but if I could I would give them a big fat hug. Such a great combination! I made a slightly easier glaze than the usual recipe as time was not on my side. It was quite runny but still had the sweet sticky-ness you would expect from a Cinnamon Roll.
I find these guys beyond filling, I ate about half of it before I gave up (Nothing to do with the fact I had eaten two a few hours earlier!!) They are addictive, even though you are stuffed, after a few minutes you will find yourself over picking at it again.
Recipe for Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- 7g packet fast-action yeast
- 125ml warm water
- 125ml scalded milk
- 60g sugar
- 75g butter,melted
- 1tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 520g plain flour
- 115g melted butter,plus extra for pan
- 250g sugar,plus extra for pan
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 150g of finely chopped pecans
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tbsp hot water
- In a small bowl or jug ,dissolve yeast in water and set aside until frothy and bubbly. This wont take long, a few minutes perhaps.Heat your milk. Melt your butter.
- In a large bowl, mix milk,sugar and melted butter, salt and egg. Add flour and mix until mixture is smooth like. Add yeast mixture and mix, if it seems too wet add a some flour little by little. Using a dough hook, knead until dough is smooth and almost elasticky. This usually takes about 5 minutes using a mixer. Place into a well greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and let rise until double in size, 1 - 1 1/2hrs approx.
- When doubled in size,punch dough down. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15x9 inch rectangle. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Spread melted butter over dough (leaving a drop for the pan) and sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture over it (again leaving a bit for the pan). Sprinkle over your pecans. Beginning at the larger side (15inch) roll up dough and pinch edges together to seal. Cut into slices, I always aim for a 1 inch cut, hence the 12-15 serving.
- Coat bottom of baking pan with melted butter and sprinkle remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan. Let dough rise until doubled again, usually takes 45mins approx.Pre-heat oven to 170°C (fan-assisted).
- Bake for 20 mins or until nicely browned.
- Mix icing sugar and vanilla. Add 1tbsp of hot water at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. This is quite a runny glaze.
I knew a love affair had been born when I first tasted these all those months ago. So filling and indulgent, they are perfect for weekend brunch or those lazy Sundays. I'm still such a huge fan!
Hope everyone is having a great day!