I'm ashamed to say I've only just discovered the deliciousness that are cinnamon rolls. As I mentioned before, My sisters and I recently took a trip state side.On one jet lagged stricken night, we got a SERIOUS craving for cake,cookies and all things sweet in general,so off we trotted around L.A at about 1.30a.m.......the things you do for cake! All we could find was a burger joint,so we raided them for their cookies and something called a Cinnabon. A love affair was born!
Honestly these are sooo good! The dough is not at all bread like. It is a sweet fluffy dough and with the buttery cinnamon oozing out where ever it can,they are packed with flavour.They may take a while to make but if you haven't already indulged in these sweet rolls, Go do it! They will not disappoint.
Adapted from a Paula Deen recipe
Recipe for Cinnamon Rolls
- 7g packet fast-action yeast
- 125ml warm water
- 125ml scalded milk
- 60g sugar
- 75g butter,melted
- 1tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 520g plain flour
- 115g melted butter,plus extra for pan
- 250g sugar,plus extra for pan
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 60g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tbsp hot water
- In a small bowl or jug ,dissolve yeast in water and set aside until frothy and bubbly. This wont take long, a few minutes perhaps.
- In a large bowl, mix milk,sugar and melted butter, salt and egg. Add flour and mix until mixture is smooth like. Add yeast mixture and mix,if it seems too wet add a some flour little by little. Using a dough hook, knead until dough is smooth and almost elasticky. This usually takes about 5 minutes using a mixer. Place into a well greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and let rise until double in size, 1 - 1 1/2hrs approx.
- When doubled in size,punch dough down. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15x9 inch rectangle. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Spread melted butter over dough (leaving a drop for the pan) and sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture over it (again leaving a bit for the pan). Beginning at the larger side (15inch) roll up dough and pinch edges together to seal. Cut into slices, I always aim for a 1 inch cut, hence the 12-15 serving.
- Coat bottom of baking pan with melted butter and sprinkle remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan. Let dough rise until doubled again, usually takes 45mins approx.Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Bake for 30 mins or until nicely browned.
- Mix butter, icing sugar and vanilla. Add 1tbsp of hot water at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. I like mine quite runny. Spread over now slightly cooled rolls and your done!
I'm not one bit ashamed, they are THAT good!