Warning: Major overuse of the word "Oreo" in this post :)
Is it just me or are Oreo cupcakes everywhere? Every blog, website seem to be obsessed with these cupcakes. So naturally, being the nosy baker I am, I had to see what all the fuss was about. There are about a bijillion recipes out there. In fact I don't think there is any one specific Oreo cupcake recipe. I decided to do my own thang and chuck Oreos into my usual vanilla cupcake batter and buttercream.
The results were not too shabby at all. I did do the "hidden Oreo" at the bottom of the cupcake which is probably a must when making these. They have the dense dark chocolatey flavour of the Oreos with the light vanilla sponge in contrast. The frosting is creamy and smooth with the crunch of the Oreos.
They are an Oreo lovers dream!
Recipe for Oreo Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- 110g butter,softened at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp full fat milk
- 3 heaping tbsp crushed Oreo (crumb like)
- 140g unsalted butter,room temperature
- 280g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- finely crushed Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. If you would like to do the "hidden Oreo" at the bottom. Place a full Oreo flat at the bottom of each paper case.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and crushed Oreo crumbs using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are two-thirds full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or insert a skewer into one of the cupcakes until it comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool fully on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the butter in a mixer until slightly pale,add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. This may take a few minutes. Fold in desired amount of finely crushed Oreos (this additon of crumbs will make your frosting an off white colour) and top as you please. I went for larger,chunkier crushed Oreos to give it a bit more bite!
So there you have my version of Oreo Cupcakes, sure to please all you Oreo lovers out there!
Today I'm linking up with the lovely folks over at chef-in-training.com!