I cant tell you how many times I've made this cake. It super simple and can be pretty impressive when marbled right. This one was made with a two-year-old helper so the sacred rule of marble cake was broken. Do Not Over Marble Your Cake.......whoops!
This is Rachel Allen's recipe but it's a goodin' so I'm quiet happy to share.It is quiet a moist and crumbly cake. The vanilla is light and airy while the chocolate is rich and almost gooey at times. It is a one batter cake and super simple for any novice baker out there looking to impress.
Recipe for Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50ml milk, room temperature
- 50g cocoa powder,sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.Butter and flour the sides of a 8in diameter spring-form cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl or mixer until soft. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Gradually add the eggs to the butter mixture, beating all the time. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in gently to mix, then add the milk and mix gently to combine.
- Tip half of the cake mixture into another large bowl and, into this bowl, fold in the sifted cocoa powder.
- Place the cake mixtures into the tin by alternating spoonfuls of the vanilla batter with the chocolate batter, then with a skewer or something similar, gently draw swirls through the cake mixture to ‘marblise’ it. Again Do Not Over mix. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on wire rack or eat warm..............its pretty nice both ways!
Easy,simple cake.......hope you all enjoy!