You can never go wrong with a classic Victoria sponge and with the beautiful fresh berries and fruit around at the mo,they're always a fab combo! This is a moist,light cake with layers of raspberry jam and fresh cream. I have mentioned my dislike of fresh cream before but as of late I'm loving it, it must be all the juicy berry goodness around at the moment.
Recipe for Raspberry Victoria sponge cake
- 175g butter, room temp
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs,beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional, but a must in my books)
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- Raspberry jam or jam of your preference
- Raspberry's or again berries of your preference
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line your tins. I used two 8" round tins.
- Beat your butter for a minute or two until soft. Add your sugar and cream the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Add your vanilla extract, if using, to your eggs. Slowly add this to the mixture while continuing to beat or if your doing it by hand beat well after each addition. If you add the eggs too quickly, the mixture will curdle, making the cake much heavier. If it does curdle don't panic try adding a spoonful of flour to bring it back. It won't affect the taste as much as the texture.
- Fold in your sifted flour quickly and pour the mixture into your prepared tins.
- Bake in the oven for15-20mins until the cake is risen and spongy to touch.Leave to cool on wire rack.
- Once cake has cooled, layer your jam and cream on one cake and sandwich together. I topped mine with some icing sugar (for that extra sweetness), cream and fresh whole raspberries.