I don't know whether it has been the "summer" or the lack of free time on my hands but I haven't really done a lot of baking lately. I have done the odd cake here and there but not my usual baking obsession. I have ventured into making my own condiments and dressings with great satisfaction. I was surprised by the ease of making from scratch, I honestly don't think I could go back to store bought dressings. I will admit my first two attempts at mayonnaise were a DISASTER! I just could not get it right, I still don't know where I went wrong but hey eventually I got there and that's all that matters :)
As promised rhubarb crumble! I adore rhubarb, always have always will! So when my Uncle Joe stopped by with a big bag from his garden, I could not wait to get baking! Yaaay for Uncle Joe, What a gem :)
Recipe for Rhubarb Crumble
- 12 stalks of fresh rhubarb, washed, cut into 5cm/ 2" pieces
- 4 tbsp water
- 8 tbsp fine sugar
- 110g butter, cut into small cubes
- 110g fine sugar
- 180g plain flour
( I actually adjusted mine by eye,so if you feel you need less or more rhubarb or sugar, please do so!)
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the rhubarb, water and sugar into a 4cm/1½in deep ovenproof dish.
- In a baking bowl rub the butter, sugar and flour together until it resembles fine sand, then sprinkle over the rhubarb.
- Bake in the oven until light brown on the surface, approx 45 mins - 1 hour.
Serve or eat straight away with a spoon which what seems to happen in my house!
The caramelised edges are always my favourite. How fantastic with a big dollop of ice-cream!