On a rainy Wednesday evening, Aishling and I decided it was time for some Christmas cheer so out came the cookie cutters and the greatest Christmas hits. These are just a few of what we made and to be honest not many made it to the icing stage. Aishling made some using fondant icing and I went for the piping bag.
Basic cookie recipe
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 300g plain flour, sifted
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and egg, then add the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Remove from the bowl, halve and shape into discs. Wrap with clingfilm and chill for about an hour until firm. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Dust your work top and roll out your dough to 3mm approx and cut whatever you wish.
- Line your baking sheets with non-stick paper and place your cookies on top. Chill for ten minutes or so and bake for 10-12 minutes, until just turning golden at the edges. Cool on wire rack.
This was Aishling's first time ever working with fondant so these are her pride and joy :)
I always make an extra batch of this dough and leave it in the freezer. Its soooo handy to have for a cookie emergency :)