Bread! I cannot live without bread in my life, I honestly can't remember a day when I went without it. I have tried to cut back once or twice to realise I don't really eat much else. I love bread and as I started to bake more, I feel in love with even more breads. Seriously I have it with everything from soups to salads to pasta! I'm the kinda gal that needs bread at the end of a meal to mop up sauces with.
Hi My name is Shirley and I'm a breadaholic!
I have made bread a few times and it's not that difficult,you just need patience.
Recipe for Wholemeal bread.
- 375g strong plain wholemeal flour
- 75g strong plain flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 300ml lukewarm water
- Place both flours,salt and yeast in a large bowl. Using a dough hook mix on minimum speed,gradually adding the warm water to form a soft dough. I have also made this by hand,put your hand in a claw like position and gradually bring the dough together.
- Knead for 4 minutes approx until smooth and elastic. This will take longer if your doing it by hand. Cover the bowl with oiled clear film and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- On minimum speed gently knock back the dough for 30-40 seconds.If doing it by hand be gentle no body wants tough as old boots bread! Transfer to a floured surface and shape into a ball. Knead from sides to the centre, then turn over and place on a floured baking sheet.
- Cover with oiled clear film and leave to rise for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size. Sprinkle with flour. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 230°C.
- Using a shape knife make 3 or 4 cuts across the loaf,then again at right angles. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven to 200°C for 20 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on wire rack.