A friend of mine asked me to do a cake for her OH whose a massive Manchester United fan. I automatically thought of a soccer ball cake. I don't own one of the soccer ball cake pans so I had to put my thinking cap on.
"How to make a Soccer Ball Cake?"
What you need
- Chocolate Biscuit cake
- Large heatproof bowl, greased
- Fondant, black, white
- Cake board
- Edible glue
- Make up your biscuit cake and place it in your greased heatproof bowl. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula press the cake firmly into the bowl. Try and smooth out as much as possible as this will be the bottom of your cake. Leave cool, overnight preferably.
- Whip up your buttercream. Remove the cake from the bowl, place on cake board. Coat your cake with the buttercream for a smooth finish. You will have holes and chunks from where the biscuit settled so be sure to fill and smooth these over with the buttercream. Chill. Re-coat with second layer of buttercream if desired.
- Roll out white fondant and cover cake. Using the template below cut out shapes in black and white. I started with a top black one (shape on the right) and then surrounded it with the white (shape on left) and so on. Put some edible glue on shapes and stick them on to your fondant. If you cant get your hands on edible glue use a tiiiiny bit of buttercream, just enough for them to stick.
- I ordered a edible image of the crest online and stuck it on. I covered the board with green fondant, stuck with buttercream and hey presto........soccer ball cake!
I'm sure you could use a regular cake mix for this cake and bake it in the Pyrex bowl, just remember to adjust the cooking time and such.