(Photo Credit~Gary Rhodes)
It being the long weekend,I decided to do something I have never done before and have my very first dinner party. First problem that came to mind was "where was I going to fit everybody?". There is eight in my family and I have a four seater table,umm. As luck would have it all the boys were off doing their own thing and Callum has his highchair,crisis averted!
Next up,"what will I make?". This was like heaven to me,I could spend hours reading through copious amounts of cookbooks with a pot of tea by my side.
In the end I went for :
Mini Tuna Vol-au-vents.
Lemon Roast Chicken.
Brown-Sugar Pavlova with Cream,Strawberries and Blueberries.
Tuna vol-au-vents are always at my family get togethers because they're super easy and yum!
For the Starters I went for Cesar salad,it's so simple to put together,all ingredients into a blender and you have your dressing (there's some good ones on the Internet and homemade is sooo way nicer,trust me!), croutons,lardons,Parmesan...done!
The Lemon chicken I had never made before but was pleasantly surprised,if any one has Gary Rhodes "Food with friends" and you haven't tried this,go do it,the sauce is to die for!
And last but not least the yum Pavlova!
Recipe for Brown-sugar Pavlova
- 6 eggs whites
- 115g caster sugar
- 55g soft,light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 300ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and using a cake tin base,mark a 20cm (8in) circle.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to form soft peaks. Gradually add the sugars, whisking well. Whisk in the vinegar and cornflour with the last of the sugar.
- Spread the meringue mixture on to the baking paper within the circle, building up the sides slightly. Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven but leave the meringue inside to cool completely. When cool, carefully remove from the baking sheet, peel off the baking paper and place on serving plate.
- Whip the cream and spoon onto the meringue. Arrange fruits on top and your done!
It's actually pretty easy so it was perfect for a dinner party,I was so scared it would all go wrong so I whipped up some ice-cream with the leftover egg yolks but thankfully it didn't!
Have a nice weekend.